>From my experience I HAD to use:

 <RegistryValue Root="HKCU" Key='Software\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]'
Name="installed" Type="integer" Value="1" KeyPath="yes"/>
      </Component>
when adding a shortcut on the desktop. (someone correct me if they have
done it another way.)

Unless I am reading it unclear you are not referencing the desktop folder
in your directory id section.

<Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
<Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
<Directory Id="YOURDIR" Name="NAMEOFYOURDIR"/>

*<Directory Id ="DesktopFolder" Name="Desktop"/>*
   </Directory>
</Directory>

Your code updated.

   1. <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
   2.             <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder" Name="PFiles">
   3.                 <Directory Id="TESTPKG" Name="TestPKG">
   4.                               *<Directory Id ="DesktopFolder"
   Name="Desktop"/>*