No ones stopping you from doing that, as that's what youve done, but
if you want to use the installer, you can only use it on the OS'es
that are all EoL, as depending on the settings in Windows 7, users can
choose to support ocx files or not, and if they choose to support
them, you must register them like so:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/146219

Please note that you must register these in the WoW64 Compatability
Layer if the OS is 64 bit.  This option may be removed sometime in the
future, use with caution.

OCX was officially phased out at the EoL Date for XP, and Windows 8
will not be supported as the codebase for 8 is used on everything from
PC's to Windows smart phones.

If you absolutely cannot upgrade the app you need to notify your User
base that "the following list of OS'es is supported..." etc with an *
next to win7 stating 32 bit only...

Carter