Follow-up....

Our old VS2012 solution was organized like this...

A.vsxproj (C++)
B.csproj (C#)
C.csproj (C#)
W.wixproj (WiX)

Where project-B had a SOLUTION dependency on the C++ project-A.  And the
WiX project has project dependencies on both project-B and project-C.  When
built via VS2012, the solution build order would be A, B, C, W.
However, when MSBuild built this solution, the build order A, C, W, B.  As
expected, building project-W would fail because project-B's output was
nowhere to be found.

I followed the instructions in the link Rob provided and removed the
SOLUTION dependency between project-B and project-A.  Instead, I manually
edited project-B's csproj file to add a PROJECT dependency to project-A
(VS2012 won't let you add a C++ as a project reference to a C# project).
After reloading project-B, I now see project-A in project-B's References
list.  Though, depending on VS2012 mood at the time, it may or may not have
a little yellow triangle next to project-A's entry.

Now via both VS2012 and MSBuild, the build order is A, B, C, W.

I still don't quite understand why the changes make it work, but I'm glad
it does.<g>

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM, Rob Mensching <r...@firegiant.com> wrote:

> Sounds a lot like:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/msbuild/archive/2010/12/21/incorrect-solution-build-ordering-when-using-msbuild-exe.aspx

>  FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |
> http://www.firegiant.com/

Tony