I used to use a wixlib project but when I added multiplatform projects and
tried to use MSBuild directly for my build process I had problems with a x64
project failing due to a dependency on the wixlib project (which had already
been built) but would not build with platform set to x64.

So for wxs file I have a 'CommonSrc' project.  (A MSI setup project works,
but is never built.)  I use this project only to edit the wxs as needed
(with comments in the wxs indicating that it should only be edited in the
CommonSrc project).  I then run a script file which copies the file to each
project where this wxs file is needed.  (Not exactly what you are asking
for, but since I only edit the file in the 'CommonSrc' location I no longer
have confusion related to managing the various copies.)

For wxi files that are common I place them in a common Include folder, and
add the following to the project file.
    <CompilerAdditionalOptions>
      -I"$(ReleaseVersionedProjectRoot)\Common\Src\Includes"
    </CompilerAdditionalOptions>

Then at the top of the one wxi file that I have in each project I add the
following.
<?include commonIncludes.wxi ?>

The various wxs files include this local wix file, and by extension have
access to the information in my various common wxi file.

Again not exactly what you are looking for, but maybe it can help.