Sorry I'm still a bit confused. If this is the case, then why am I able to
create a bootstrapper which bundles an MSI file that has a fourth index
version number of 65535?

The fact that an MSI with fourth index 65535 (1.0.0.65535) will execute
from a WiX bootstrapper with no issue, while an MSI file with fourth index
of 65536 (1.0.0.65536) will cause the silent parsing error shown above
seems to indicate there is an upper limit for this index when using burn
(but not when creating the MSI via WiX)

Could you explain source of this apparent value limitation?

-Ed