Hello,

I'm quite new to WIX so apologies if this is a common "gotcha"

I have a windows service that I install via WIX.

To do this I used this blog post as a guide:
http://www.chrissurfleet.co.uk/post/2011/08/04/Creating-windows-service-installer-with-Visual-Studio-and-WiX.aspx

In short the article suggests using heat to generate a list of components, this
is then edited by some XSL to remove the <File> tag for the service executable.
The executable is then manually added in a second WXS file with the
ServiceInstall/ServiceControl elements.

For the most part it works well, but I've come across an odd scenario..
Run the install
Change the version number & rebuild
Run the install again

Everything is fine, product is upgraded etc.

If I now uninstall everything is removed apart from the service executable,
which remains in the program folder.
This doesn't happen if I just install and then uninstall the same version.

>From reading it seems most uninstall issues like this are related to GUIDs
>being incorrect - I'm guessing its something to do with the manual addition of
>the component for the service executable - the GUID there never changes.

Am I on the right track ?

Would it be better to  use the XSl to add the ServiceInstall/Control stuff
directly to the heat output ?

thanks