I just downloaded wix 3.9.702.  (I currently have wix 3.8.1128 installed
using the wix setup.)  While I downloaded the wix 3.9 setup, binary zip, and
debug zip, I did not use the wix 3.9 setup.  Rather I extracted 3.9 binaries
zip to a folder on my system.  I then browsed to wix.CHM in that tree and
double clicked.  The index is displayed on the left, but double clicking on
any topic does not display any topic.

Back in the 3.7 time frame I had setup a similar folder structure based on
the chm documentation, but I ran into some issues (particularly once I
started working with 3.8) as sometimes the builds were pointed at 3.7 tools
(installed with the setup) rather than 3.8 tools in my development tree.  So
at that point I abandoned trying to put multiple versions on a system.  I
thought with 3.9 I would try that approach again.  Opening the 3.9 chm is
the first thing I tried.

Do I need to make some config change on my system to use the 3.9 chm, or are
others seeing this issue (particularly on a system where the very nice wix
installer was not used)?

Phill