The approach that I used, (some time ago before I switched to using a mba),
is (as I recall)

1) Define a string variable in your Bundle and make it overridable-'yes'.
   <Variable Name='svWelcomeMessage' Value='some default text' Type='string'
bal:Overridable='yes'/>
2) In the localization file define a sting which uses that string variable.
     <String Id="WelcomeMsg">[svWelcomeMessage]</String>
3) Make a copy of the BAFunctions project (included in the wix source is a
sample project).  Look at:
src\burn\Samples\bafunctions
4) In OnDetectComplete, implement code that checks for the prerequisite and
then set the Engine String variable to the message which you want to
display.
   hr = m_pEngine->SetVariableString(L"svWelcomeMessage", "This is my
message.");

The above is from memory.  You may need to make some syntax adjustments.