Due to lack of foresight and inexperience when I was new to WiX, I've gotten
myself the following problem:

I have 2 product installers, A & B. Each contains 2 DLLs, X & Y.
A always installs both X & Y to folder M
B (optionally) installs X to M and Y to another folder, N

A is a released product and I cannot change its installer anytime soon

I am working on an update (major upgrade) to B and the new versions of X & Y
are incompatible with the old versions. This means that if A is already
installed, I need B to update Y in *both* folders.

I've added a ComponentSearch to B to find the component Id corresponding to Y
in A (and install a 2nd copy of Y if found). This seems to work OK if I simply
install A then B.

However, if I install B without X & Y, then install A, then re-run B to add X &
Y, the copy of Y in M (A's copy) is not updated.

I think the following from the log file may be relevant (COMPONENT_Y is
conditional on COMPONENT_Y_PATH, which, it appears, isn't be set):

MSI (c) (50:78) [16:52:05:868]: Doing action: AppSearch
Action 16:52:05: AppSearch. Searching for installed applications
Action start 16:52:05: AppSearch.
AppSearch: Property: COMPONENT_Y_PATH, Signature: COMPONENT_Y_search
MSI (c) (50:78) [16:52:05:868]: Note: 1: 2262 2: Signature 3: -2147287038
Action ended 16:52:05: AppSearch. Return value 1.
Component: COMPONENT_Y; Installed: Local;   Request: Null;   Action: Null