From: kirannhegde [mailto:kirann.he...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:00 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Assembly updates in the GAC using Major upgrade

Hello all,

I am facing a strange problem where an assembly is not upgraded in the GAC
after a major upgrade.
V1.0 of the msi package  contains v1.0.19.0 of the assembly
V1.1 of the msi package contains v1.0.21.0 of the assembly.

This assembly is sourced using a merge module.

When i execute v1.1 of the msi package on a system which has  v1.0 already
installed, the assemby is not updated.
I see the following  error in the log file:
*skipping installation of assembly component:
{C238A087-B494-48A6-B69C-5A95E2FFE56B} since the assembly already exists*

Here are a few things to note:
-The assembly version of the dll has changed between v1.0 and v1.1. However,
the component id has not changed.
This should not be an issue as  in a test project, i was able to upgrade the
assembly in the GAC without modifying the component code, even when the
assembly versions have changed.

-The MsiAssemblyName table does not contain the  fileVersion attribute, as
required for in-place upgrade of asssemblies.
This i believe is insignificant here as the "assembly version" itself has
changed. This is only required if you want to update an assembly in the GAC
without modifying its assembly version

-in v1.1 of the msi package, RemoveExistingProducts is sequenced after
InstallFinalize.

-I built my test project using Wix and was able to update the assembly in the
GAC by just updating the assembly versions. The same component code was used in
both the base as well as the upgraded msi.

What could be wrong with my production installer?
The production installer has merge modules which are very old and are still
being built using  Wise.

Thanks,
Kiran Hegde

intended