I have been for some time using an empty PayloadGroupRef to pull a Fragment
into my Bundle (when the items in the Fragment don't already have a xxxRef
object which could be used).  I picked this idea up from some example posted
in this list and it seems to work pretty good.  However today I came across
a strange situation were the bundle compiles successfully, but when run
immediately exits with.

[1020:0C9C][2014-08-13T15:45:16]e000: Error 0x8007007f: Failed to get
BootstrapperApplicationCreate entry-point
[1020:0C9C][2014-08-13T15:45:16]e000: Error 0x8007007f: Failed to load UX.
[1020:0C9C][2014-08-13T15:45:16]e000: Error 0x8007007f: Failed while running

Curiously this started happening in multiple projects and I found that I
could resolve the problem simply by changing the order in which the payload
Ref is listed.  It seems to be a race condition.  Is there another approach
that I could use to avoid having to copy the same code to many different
projects?

Consider the following:
  <Fragment>
    <PayloadGroup Id=VariableA" />
    <Variable Name='VariableAr' Type='string' Value='defautlValue'
bal:Overridable='yes'/>
  </Fragment>

  <Fragment>
    <PayloadGroup Id=VariableB" />
    <Variable Name='VariableB' Type='string' Value='defaultValue'
bal:Overridable='yes'/>
  </Fragment>

  <Fragment>
    <PayloadGroup Id='UX_payloads'>
      <Payload SourceFile='UX.dll' />
      <Payload Name='BootstrapperCore.config'
SourceFile='mbaUX.BootstrapperCore.config' />
 ....other payloads
   </PayloadGroup>
  </Fragment>

The above three Fragments are used in many projects, but in different
combinations.  They are in a wixlib.  In the Bundle project I have:

    <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="ManagedBootstrapperApplicationHost">
      <PayloadGroupRef Id="VariableA" />
      <PayloadGroupRef Id="VariableB" />
      <PayloadGroupRef Id='UX_payloads'/>
    </BootstrapperApplicationRef>

The above error seems to happen rarely, but when it does happen, it seems to
be resolved by changing the order of the above PayloadGroupRef statements,
with the UX listed last seems to resolve the most persistent race condition.

Is there any advice for how to 'reference' fragments of Variable elements,
to avoid copying the same code to many projects?