Regarding the "wrong custom action" issue: there have been problems in
that area with managed custom actions where the uninstall part of the
upgrade runs first, loading the assembly for that older custom action.
When the new install runs and the loading code comes to load the new
assembly the runtime will not load the assembly because it's the
"same" as the one that's already loaded. If that's what's happening,
using a strong name (or a new one) on the new version of the assembly
should fix it.
Phil Wilson