From: David Watson [mailto:dwat...@sdl.com]
Sent: 17 September 2014 10:15
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Intermittent errors setting Windows 8 properties on
shortcuts

My notes indicate that you need to set a System.AppUserModel.ID for these to
work (I did this research a while ago and don't remember the details and if it
is still accurate under windows 8.1).
I understand though that if you don't do it explicitly windows will allocate
you one on the fly, but may be worth a  try.
Check out
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd391569(v=vs.85).aspx
to see if its relevant to your situation.

My example shortcut

<Component Id="ProductShortcut">
 <RegistryValue Root="HKMU" Key="Software\company\ShortcutTest\Installer"
Name="ProductShortcut" Value="KeyPath" KeyPath="yes" Type="string" />
 <Shortcut Id="ProductShortcut" Name="The Application" Description="The
application." IconIndex="0" Icon="ProductIcon.exe"
Target="[#TheApplication.exe]">
 <ShortcutProperty Key="System.AppUserModel.ID"
Value="Company.TheApplication.exe" />
 <ShortcutProperty Key="{9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12" Value="1" />
 <!--
 Name: System.AppUserModel.StartPinOption - PKEY_AppUserModel_StartPinOption
 Type: UInt32 - VT_UI4
 FormatID: {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12

 Note: Set this property on a shortcut to (1) prevent an application from being
automatically pinned to Start screen upon installation; or
 (2) indicate that an item is programmatically added to launcher via user
action (which implies automatically pin to Start and delete on unpin).

 Note: It has to be a guid to stop windows 7 throwing a warning dialogue.
 see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2745126

<em> Note: that you must also set System.AppUserModel.ID first or the property
will not be used. </em>
 -->
 </Shortcut>