I saw some install failures when I tried this but this may have been down
to some incorrect handling in my custom BA. I haven't tried this with a
package based on the WixStdBA

You will also get the child package listed as an entry in the ARP because
there's no way for the parent bundle to tell the child bundle to hide
itself. (http://wixtoolset.org/issues/4454/)