No we are not doing nested installs. Since Wix does not support an admin
chain install that creates a output .msi we are using InstallShield to
create our chain installs to chain all out wix install projects.

We have quite a few wixlib 32 bit assemblies that we create to that gets
installed and are required for a lot of out main products that we install,
either standalone or chained into a suite admin installer .msi.

The wixlib's use the File Id - Assembly="win32" and AssemblyManifest
elements so that they are correctly registered as assemblies on the machines
in the GAC.

As for the shortcuts we have them defined as following:
<Shortcut Id="StartMenu_NB_Shortcut" Directory="SMARTIconFolder"
Target="[INSTALLDIR]Notebook.exe" Name="SMART Notebook 14"
Icon="NB_ARP_Icon" Show="normal" WorkingDirectory="INSTALLDIR" />

Where Icon=NB_ARP_Icon is the Icon Id to the source .ico file.

So when you say you use resource only native DLL are you referring to a dll
that contains all your icon resources and you just point to the correct
IconIndex? We used sort of do that, but we just pointed to the main .exe
file and the correct IconIndex, but we found out that this duplicates the
.exe in the installer for resources and therefore increased the sizes of our
installers quite a bit, especially if the .exe files were large....