Hello,

I am well aware of the component rules. One of the rules is that the
component guid should not be changed if the keypath does not change.

Here is my scenario:
Major upgrade scenario
-Install v1 of the product with a component a
-Install v2 of the product with the same component a but with a different
component guid.
RemoveExistingProducts is sequenced at the very beginning after
InstallInitialize.

Nothing really has changed in the components of v1 and v2, except that v2
has an updated file version.

If i were to go strictly by the component rules, the component rules
discourage changing the component guid, unless the keypath has changed.
My understanding of the  component rules is that they exist so as to ensure
that nothing is broken when multiple products install the same set of
resources to the same location.

In my case, i have to change the component guid even though the keypath has
not changed.
I believe its not a violation of component rules as i am ensurign that just
one product installs into the location.

Can someone confirm this?

Regards,
Kiran Hegde