> On 26-Nov-14 23:45, Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>> I'm not sure how to handle rollback. Suppose A.msi is already
>> installed, I install B.msi, the update-index CA runs, and for some
>> reason installation fails and rolls back. The correct result is to
>> have the index with only pluginA.dll in it, as it was before the
>> installation started. Should the index updater store a backup that I
>> can restore in rollback? If so, when would that backup be deleted? Or
>> is it possible in a rollback to rerun the updater *after* pluginB.dll
>> has been deleted?
> Yes. Create a rollback custom action that does the same thing as the
> deferred custom action. You have the easiest case: Do the same thing on
> install, uninstall, rollback for each, patching, repair.

I assume the 'yes' refers to my last question :)

Hmm, but if the installation deferred action runs after installing the
files, won't its rollback action run before removing the files? The
index updater would run with the same result (storing pluginB in the
index) and *then* pluginB.dll would be deleted... I guess I have to
try it to understand the ordering better.

--
Nicolás