Hi,

This has probably been asked before (although I couldn't find it): what are
WiX's license implications when it comes to distributing bundles based on
BootstrapperApplication? I understand the MS-RL does not apply to our own
code, but the license clarification on the WiX page doesn't seem to address
the fact that the bundle itself contains code from the WiX library
(specifically the BootstrapperCore assembly):

OuterCurve Foundation does not view the installer packages generated by WiX
> as falling within the definition of a derivative work, merely because they
> are produced using WiX. Thus, the installer packages generated by WiX will
> normally fall outside the scope of the MS-RL, and any of your source code,
> binaries, libraries, routines or other software components that are
> incorporated in installer packages generated by WiX can be governed by
> other licensing terms.

The emphasis is on "merely because they are produced using WiX".
BoostrapperCore bundles aren't just produced by WiX, they actually need to
use WiX code in order for the bootstrapping to work (as I understand it).
MS-RL states that

For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source
> code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that
> file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file.

So I'm confused: do we have to provide the WiX source code if we distribute
such bundles or not?

Thank you,
Igor Brejc