Anything written in managed code using the dot net framework will have a
dependency on .net your options are that you write the custom action in c++
or you compile it in .net 2 in the hope that they have that installed. One
other option is to use a boot chainer like Burn. this will install the
dotnet framework before executing the MSI.

Kind Regards

Craig Reeves
craig.ree...@kraygsoft.com

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Sarvagya Pant <sarvagya.p...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have created a custom action using C# .Net 4.0 that is supposed to get
> the property passed to it and create a file eg:
>
> msiexec /i somemsi.msi /l*v out.txt IPADDRESS="127.0.0.1"
>
> I have created both MSI that does the work. But as this MSI is to be
> deployed to customers, I have following questions:
>
> 1. Does the customer, which will install the product, should also install
> .net 4.0 for running just a function from the DLL of Custom Action?
> 2. If above case is true, how can I remove the dependency of adding .net
> 4.0 so that customer doesn't need to install .net before installing my
> executable?
>
> Thanks,
> Sarvagya
>
> --