> You have several options to do that:
> 1. Author a  SetProperty
> <http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/wix/setproperty.html>
> element that will append the string entered by the user
> 2. Author a  Publish
> <http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/wix/publish.html>
> element on the dialog's "Next" button (the dialog where the user enters the
> value).
>
> For costing to function properly make sure that the initial value for that
> directory is in the same volume. So the initial value should be "c:\program
> files\company\" and you'll only append the last part on SetProperty /
> Publish elements.

Hi Nir,
Thanks for the response.

Seems I need to change my dialogue, currently I define the Property element
before the Dialogue and within the dialogue I

<Property Id="MYID" Value="xxx" />
<Dialog Id="My Dialog " ...
    <Control Type="Edit" ... Property="MYID" />

After which I am able to use [MYID] in the various locations I need.

  <Fragment>
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
      <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
        <Directory Id="CompanyName" Name="Company Name">
            <Directory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Name="App Name (some default)" />
        </Directory>
      </Directory>
    </Directory>
    <SetDirectory Id="INSTALLFOLDER" Value="C:\Program Files (x86)\ Company
Name\App Name ([MYID])" />
    <Property Id="WIXUI_INSTALLDIR" Value="INSTALLFOLDER" />
  </Fragment>

This falls apart as the directory chosen in the InstallDirDlg is not honored.
Is the initial approach of defining the user specified variable correct to
start?

Thanks!
jlc