Yes, for ExePackage, not today for MsiPackage. There is a lot of information
gathered for MsiPackage that RemotePayload cannot represent. Not sure if there
is already feature request tracking it...

From: Reuss, Matthias [mailto:matthias.mr.re...@sivantos.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2015 1:10 AM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Burn: Are chained MSI packages required at build time?

Hello,

to my current knowledge, the MSI packages referenced as MsiPackage elements
within a chain must be available at build time, regardless of whether they
shall be compressed into the bootstrapper or not.

Is there a way to circumvent this? Does Burn read vital information (Product
codes etc.) from the msi packages at build time, and can this information be
entered later e.g. via Burn variables?

My goal is to provide an "easy" way to create bundles for several packages with
identical logic, but different content, and my favourite workflow would be to
build an adapted version of the bootstrapper first and copy in the packages
later.  (BTW: With ISChainer, this works...)

Best regards

Matthias