I’m trying to recache one of a number of packages before
RemoveExistingProducts. My custom action extracts the new package from the
Binary table, then attempts to MsiOpenDatabase() to update the new
package’s ProductCode and ProductVersion to avoid needing a new package for
each instance we’re trying to recache.

I’m getting Leaked MSIHANDLE messages like the following

MSI (s) (D4:84) [14:23:56:565]: Leaked MSIHANDLE (71) of type 790541 for
thread 1380

And it appears that the custom action is terminating immediately at the
MsiOpenDatabase() call site as no other custom action code appears to
execute after.

I read in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370338.aspx that
“Because MsiOpenDatabase initiates database access, it cannot be used with
a running installation.” Does this mean that I cannot use MsiOpenDatabase()
from a custom action and that I’ll need an external executable to run from
my bundle instead of recaching in a custom action?

--
Edwin G. Castro