I came across a different, but I suspect it might be a related issue,
discussed in this  thread
<http://windows-installer-xml-wix-toolset.687559.n2.nabble.com/RollbackBoundry-Can-t-Upgrade-or-uninstall-bundle-td7598888.html>

.  Frankly because of other responsibilities, I set this issue aside and did
not fully dig into the cause or solution.  In my case it was not the mba
prereq, but additional prereqs at the top of my chain (vc runtimes, and .Net
3.51) which I install but never uninstall.  When I had a RollbackBoundary
immediately after a ExePackage with ExePackage/@Permanent="yes", and if
while processing a package after the RollbackBoundary, in certain situations
like user cancel, the rollback happened to the boundary, but the bundle was
left in the ARP.  When this happens I could not find any way to get an
Uninstall (or an Upgrade) of that bundle to "work".  The log simply reports
"success" which is correct since there is nothing in the chain that is not
permanent, to uninstall, but the ARP registration remains.

I eventually concluded that I should not use a RollbackBondary after a
'Permanent' package, and I also add a small simple MSI package immediately
after the permanent package, so that there is a high likelihood that it
installs.  If a latter package fails, there remains something in the chain
for the Bundle to "uninstall", and then it removes the ARP registration.
It has been my intent to get back to this and setup a test scenario that I
can debug into and try to understand if my observations are accurate, and
then file a bug or figure out a fix, but I have not gotten back to this
issue.  Sorry.