In that situation, and assuming you have a robust file versioning
scheme, in all these cases you go ahaead and install the MSI anyway
and:

1. Package versions of those files that have lower file versions and
will therefore not update the existing higher versioned ones.Apply
component rules, and they should be in a common container (such as a
merge module) to make sure that you do follow those rules.

or

2. Have those files in a feature in their containing MSI and ensure
that the feature is not installed (with INSTALLLEVEL perhaps) if that
other product is detected.

or

3. If the number of files is not cumbersome, make each containing
component transitive and dependent on the upgrade detecting an older
product. You'll need to re-evaluate the component condition at every
operation (such as repair) to ensure those files are not potentially
overwritten.  This has the potential advantage that if if the other
product is uninstalled and you now need those files then a repair
would install them.
Phil Wilson