I'm with Phill on this one, I've used that scheme too.

It's unusual (well to me at least) for multiple users to be updating
the same file like that in a non-database type of situation, and
arranging for users to get their own copy isn't too difficult if that
works for the application. You can even arrange for Windows to do that
automatically if the file is a key file in User's Application Data and
you have an advertised shortcut that will install the file on demand
for other users.

The place for public shared files is C:\Users\Public, for which there
is no Windows Installer folder property - a variation on Phill's idea
would be for the app to copy the template to that location from
CommonAppData when the app first runs.
Phil Wilson