I believe that upgrading a bundle or msi, creating to use wix 3.7 tools, to a
later version of wix 3.x as being none-breaking and supported.  However the
binary compatibility of a wix extension created with one version of 3.x does
not extend to a later version of wix 3.x.  You need to recompile your binary
tools (wix extensions and CAs when dependent on wix) with the wix toolset
that you are using.  At least that is my understanding and my observation.
I have shipped and upgraded bundles/msi created using wix toolsets from 3.7
through 3.10 without issue, but I always have to recompile my wix custom
extensions and binary dependencies.