Binary file difference tools that attempt to find out if there are
meaningful differences between binaries are more difficult than may
appear at first glance. I worked with a company that ultimately gave
their tool up because of the difficulties. If my recollection is
correct, minor changes in compilers can produce code that is
functionally identical from one code file to the next, but the binary
files are not the same. Also there are dates in files that will
change. It turned out to be easier to have developers just say which
files actually had functional differences, even though the build
system rebuilds everything to have higher versiuons. Merge modules
also get built as a unit, and even if only one binary has changed all
the content gets a version bump because that's what the build system
did. The patch process has a way to ignore files that are missing when
generating a patch from admin images (see IgnoreMissingSrcFiles in PCP
file) so it turned out to be easier to just supply the binaries that
were functionally different, with their higher files versions of
course.
Phil Wilson