I believe that there 'may' be a bug in the existing implementation along the
lines that Colin described or and related to the comment "Burn should keep
registration in ARP when the first non-permanent package is installed (aka:
there is something Burn would do).".  In the scenarios where I had
difficulty I could not do an Uninstall or a Major Upgrade of a Burn chain
which had previously failed after only successfully installing 'permanent'
items in the chain.  To get past this issue at the time I removed a Rollback
boundary which immediately followed the last permanent item in the chain
(just before the non-permanent item in the chain which had failed) in the
original installation.  While I never did find a way to uninstall the
original failed setup, every since I removed the RollbackBoundary from my
chain I have not been able to recreate the problem scenario.  So I think
there might be a problem in handling this scenario in 3.9/3.10 but I did not
had a chance to setup a more indepth debug to see if I can track down where
the problem is.  I suspect that the non-trivial new feature issue of making
Burn behave like a fire-and-forget bootstrapper is a separate issue (which I
do not have an interest in).