I guess I'm curious then, what's the goal? What does this provide beyond
the Motif hint?

If it's "nothing, it's just standardizing it", then I'm against it. CSD
requires a complete solution, and I'd rather see a complete solution
standardized than a slightly-less-bad Motif hint.

I could add support in mutter for the new state, but I wouldn't port GTK+
to it. The Motif hint has wider reach across a wide pool of existing WMs,
and we'd just be regressing for no real gain. Not to mention that on WMs
without support for client-set frame extents, we keep the "border" hint on
so that users can resize the window through the WM-provided borders, even
if they don't get a server-side titlebar.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraess...@kde.org>wrote:

> On Thursday 20 February 2014 10:23:41 Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> > There's a bunch of open questions about this state. If a window is
> > CSD-drawn, does it include drop-shadows, or should the compositor draw
> > drop-shadows?
>
> thanks for the feedback. I think there is a small misunderstanding in what
> wanted to achieve with the proposal. It's not to come up with the ultimate
> way
> to handle CSD - I think it's obvious that I'm the wrong person to propose
> that
> ;-)
>
> The idea is really just to make a modern way for the motif hint. Whether or
> how CSD styling is done is IMHO completely orthogonal. Especially the
> consideration of shadows is something which has nothing to do with whether
> the
> window is decorated or not. The hint to not decorate the window is clearly
> relevant for the window manager and the styling is clearly relevant to the
> compositor. Thus it addresses two completely different parts and should
> IMHO
> not be mixed.
>
> Cheers
> Martin