Hi,

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 7:42 PM Tomas Janousek <t...@nomi.cz> wrote:

> Hi Alberts and Martin,
>
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 09:44:24AM +0100, Martin Flöser wrote:
> >Am 2018-12-27 22:22, schrieb Alberts Muktupāvels via wm-spec-list:
> >>First I think there should be new property for struts because existing
> >>properties can not be used to set struts on edges between two
> >>monitors. New property could be named _NET_WM_STRUT_AREA and used to
> >>define rectangular area (x, y, width and height) that should be
> >>excluded from work area. This property will need to follow at least
> >>two rules:
> >>- at least one edge of area must match with monitor edge. The window
> >>manager must ignore strut if it is not placed at monitor edge.
> >>- if strut appears on edge between two monitors it should be ignored
> >>when calculating _NET_WORKAREA to ensure backward compatibility.
> >
> >sounds fine to me.
> >
> >As a note: in KWin we allow panels on shared edges to set a strut with
> >the existing protocol. We just decided that a strut is not allowed to
> >cover a complete screen. Technically it's a violation of the current
> >protocol, but might be a better idea than introducing yet another
> >property.
> >
> >It could be a simple textual addition like: "Struts covering a monitor
> >completely are ignored for that monitor"
>
> Note that this was discussed back in 2007 and 2009:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2007-June/msg00000.html
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2009-November/msg00004.html
>
> There was even a proposal for `_NET_WM_WORKAREAS` and
> `_NET_WM_STRUT_AREAS`:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2009-November/msg00005.html
> that was never merged to wm-spec. :-(

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xdg/xdg-specs/-/merge_requests/22

Here is my proposal. Linked merge requests are merged with small changes -
properties are not using _NET namespace as it was decided that it is not a
good idea to change/update specification.

> Just like KWin, xmonad and likely a few other tiling WMs implement the
> same workaround of not allowing struts to cover an entire screen. That's
> been there since 2009, at least.
>
> But I guess I'm late to the party and we'll need to implement
> `_GNOME_WM_STRUT_AREA` as well, as that's now a thing in gnome-panel and
> elsewhere, and we're getting bug reports about it. :-/

Bug reports? gnome-panel still sets old STRUT properties, it does not
require that the window manager supports new property.

--
Alberts Muktupāvels