On Fri, February 24, 2012, Brad Jorsch wrote:

> Every system will have a bourne-compatible shell installed as /bin/sh,
> or MANY things will break. Does wmaker.inst have bashisms, or is all
> this talk about bash not entirely accurate?

There are no bashisms in that script. The code is fairly
portable.

Having read the word "BASH" all the time I wonder if the OP
really knows what he is writing about. I don't see any point
in even arguing about this.

And honestly, having written several thousands of LOCs in Bourne
Shell, bash and Perl I simply cannot agree that Perl code is in
general easier to understand and maintain (actually, I've seen
much more write-only code written in Perl than in just about any
other language).

Finally another general point - if you need to copy / move stuff
around in the file system and do simple filtering jobs, the
shell is the most natural way to do this. A shell script is thus
the most natural way of automating this. I would never trust any
system administrator who does not like the shell.

Cheers,

M'bert

--
----------- / http://herbert.the-little-red-haired-girl.org / -------------