On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Paul Seelig <psee...@rumbero.org> wrote:

> On 03/03/2012 11:06 PM, Haroldo Santos wrote:
> >
> > Default file manager is thunar, right ?
> >
> Whatever you please to define. ;)
>
> I have chosen thunar for the ISO only because it requires far less
> storage volume than nautilus, and also because i wanted to keep Gnome
> dependencies as little as possible. In fact, i should have chosen a
> WINGs based file manager like fsviewer, but it is simply to buggy for
> serious use.
>
> Personally, i much prefer Midnight Commander for every file management
> tasks. All those fancy GUI file managers don't even come close to its
> advanced possibilities. ;)
>
> > If I install nautilus, will I get the horrible/broken/unstable version
> > 3.x or can I still install the stable and nice 2.x version ?
> >
> Why should the unstable nautilus version 3.x be horrible or even broken?
>
> It is defintely your own personal Debian installation, and you can
> install whatever you want. Nobody is forced to just accept my limited
> default installation. Nonetheless, if you want to install nautilus, i
> recommend to use the 2.x version from debian/stable:
>
> =========
>  # apt-get -u -m -t stable install nautilus=2.30.1-2squeeze1

Thanks for this tip, exactly what I need to complement my WindowMaker
desktop. Tried the new (3.0, 3.2...) nautilus versions in ubuntu and they
simply crash or are too slow.

Sorry for those who are not interested in this talk which is a bit
off-topic.

> nautilus-data=2.30.1-2squeeze1
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>  libexempi3
> Suggested packages:
>  eog xdg-user-dirs tracker
> Recommended packages:
>  desktop-base brasero app-install-data gvfs-backends
>  libexempi3 nautilus nautilus-data
> 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 48 not upgraded.
> Need to get 7,184 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 22.9 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> =========
>
> I just installed it to find out what will happen: Once nautilus has been
> started after installation, the Window Maker root menus will be
> disabled, as nautilus takes over the handling of the desktop.
>
> In order to prevent nautilus from managing the desktop, open the Gnome
> configuration editor ("Preferences > Gnome Config Editor" in the window
> Maker root menu), and uncheck the entry "apps > nautilus > preferences >
> show_desktop". Once done, all appears to be fine. The next release of
> Window Maker Live will have this specific setting for nautilus already
> included by default, in order to save everybody from the hassle to
> perform such kind of abstract customizations.
>
> A short explanation for my choice of gnome/gtk2 related packages:
>
> Both WINGs and GTK2+3 support theming. In case of GTK2+3 theming applies
> to all widget elements, while for WINGs only colors, fonts and textures
> can be influenced, but not the form and appearance of any widget
> element, like for example the scrollbars or button shapes.
>
> For GTK2 we have the GTK2-Step theme, which succeeds in closely matching
> the looks of Window Makers WINGs widgets. To my knowledge, there still
> is no such theme available for GTK3, so any GTK3 based application has a
> very alien look within the context of Window Maker.
>
> As i have grown to dislike the aesthetic hodgepodge we had to support on
> X11 desktops during the 90s, i have thus deliberately tried to limit the
> GTK2 theming possiblilities for Window Maker Live in such a way, that
> GTK2/Gnome2 applications keep a minimal visual uniformity with the
> limited WINGs widget looks.
>
> If you investigate the contents of /etc/apt/preferences you will note,
> that i took great care to exclude every Gnome3/GTK3 application from
> being installed. If you personally don't mind mixing visually different
> applications, then i'd suggest to just remove this file, in order to get
> rid of these installation restrictions.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Paul
>
> --
> http://wmlive.sourceforge.net
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/wmlive

Haroldo Gambini Santos
Computing Department - Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
home/research page: www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo/

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy
is about telescopes." Edsger Dijkstra