### wmlive (2012-06-02) Precious Feedback Release Version

If you are already running an installation based on a former version,
then don't bother downloading this here, unless you really need a more
up to date installation ISO. While most of the accumulated fixes and
enhancements are worth this new release, the only real changes affect
the Window Maker version and some installation fixes under the hood.

This release is dedicated to all those people who bothered to give me
their feedback in form of appraisals, complaints, suggestions, and
error reports.  While appraisal may feel good for my ego, especially
those messages providing me with complaints and failure reports have
been the most valuable ones in further enhancing the overall quality
of wmlive. Some people even expressed their concern about possibly
bothering me, without being aware that feedback of any such kind is
ever so useful input to point me to the weak points of wmlive and my
own blind spots. Feedback of any kind is essentially enabling me to
provide a better result. So, please keep bothering me with those
complaints and annoyances reports!

As usual, ISO images for both amd64 and i386 are now available from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wmlive/files for immediate download,
this time from it's own dedicated 'wmlive_2012-06-02' folder.

What are the most remarkable changes for this release?

# Desktop related changes:

* Based on the latest Window Maker 0.95.3 release packages as provided
  for Debian by packaging wizard Rodolfo "kix" Garcia.

* Firefox and Thunderbird have been updated to their latest release
  version 12.x, which marks a departure from the ESR release channel.

* Add and enabled the Tree Style Tabs extension to Firefox, which
  should help to regain some vertical display area on these "modern"
  displays, which sacrifice the most important vertical screen height
  since the whole industry has shifted to wide screens.

* Thanks to it's ever helpful upstream developer Brad 'anomie' Jorsch,
  wmudmount was remarkably enhanced and has been updated to the latest
  release version 1.13. Thanks again, Brad!

* In order to make room for some generally more useful components,
  removed the sound editing applications and also the chromium
  web browser from the default installation.

* Added the davmail package, which should be very useful for those
  users who do rely on an Exchange server for their daily mail needs.

# Under the hood:

* This release is almost completely based on the bleeding edge "sid"
  branch of Debian, with only selected components coming from other
  sources.

* The 32bit ISO version now uses a i486 based kernel flavour instead
  of the former PAE enabled i586 kernel. This should enable booting
  and installation on much older legacy machines than ever before.

* The debian-installer currently fails to produce a valid fstab during
  installation to disk, essentially just leaving an empty /etc/fstab
  file behind. Therefore a procedure to create an /etc/fstab from
  scratch was added to the wmlive-fix-install script, which is based
  on the mount information as available during installation to disk.

* The wmlive-fix-install script is not needed to be run twice in a row
  anymore, as it now handles all fixes in a single go all by itself.
  This removes a single point of failure for users who accidentally
  ignore important directions given on screen. Thanks to John Duchek
  for giving me the inspiration needed to get rid of this annoyance.

# Known issues:

* We still need a GTK3 theme resembling the WINGs widget set in order
  to visually integrate GTK3 based applications with Window Maker.
  Please contact me if you work on or know about such a project.

* The VLC video player does not work in the live CD environment,
  claiming that it can't find it's plugins, but works normally once
  the system has been installed to disk.

* The installation annoyingly still requires to run the additional
  wmlive-fix-install script in order to successfully complete.

There have been many more changes and enhancements, but which are far
too numerous and small to merit any special mention of each. For more
detailed changes information, please consult the ChangeLog.txt file,
which is also available separately in the Window Maker Live download
area on Sourceforge.

If you prefer to build your own ISO image, or even a DVD size version
with more content, please refer to the wmlive-build_2012-06-02.tar.gz
archive from the very same download area on Sourceforge. It contains
all the configurations and scripts which were used to produce these
ISO images, and should enable you to customize wmlive as you please.

In fact, i wouldn't mind if more people would get involved with the
maintenance and further enhancement of wmlive. Please contact me if
you are interested to move this project further along and beyond its
currrent limitations.

Enjoy installing and using Window Maker Live!

Best regards,

Paul Seelig

--
Paul Seelig <wml...@users.sf.net>