Quoth Amadeusz Sławiński,

my urxvts lose 1 pixel border around windows when xcompmgr or
compton is started so that they can be transparent.

Ah yes. I always disable the borders but with them enabled I can see that problem. It may be to do with the _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS patch I submitted a while back, since compton looks at the frame extents to decide which parts of the window should be transparent and which are the border (and can have a different opacity set with the -e flag).

In fact I've just seen that _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS isn't updated when disabling or enabling the titlebar, resizebar and border of a window, so that needs to be fixed.

  I'll look into it.