On Sunday, June 1, 2014, Christophe <christophe.cu...@free.fr> wrote:

> ----- Carlos R. Mafra <crma...@gmail.com <javascript:;>> a écrit :
> > On Fri, 30 May 2014 at 16:27:44 +0800, David Maciejak wrote:

> ?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep).
> > > >

> > > Completely agree, let's keep the graphic library simple and outdated.
> >
> > The question really is: why wmaker should _care_ about EXIF orientation?
> > Should it also care about GPS coordinates in the future?
>
> Hello,
> If you'd allow me to jump into the troll too, I'd to add my personal point
> of view on the matter.
>
> WRaster is a *raster* library, that means providing helpful functions for
> images in memory (draw, rescale, rotate/flip, ...) and loading image is
> just a small service of the library. EXIF are metadata, thus not linked to
> raster operations, they are just additional information.
>
> The goal here is not to keep WRaster "outdated", it is to keep it
> reasonably maintainable.
>

> > This feature is not necessary. If someone wants to set a wallpaper
> > with an upside-down image, wmaker should not mess with this choice
> > and be "smart" in "fixing" the orientation automatically (as an
> > hypothetical use of this feature).
>

> Actually, that would also assume that EXIF info are right. Which may not
> be the case. They can be missing (in which case it's up to the user) but
> they can also be wrong (incorrect detection from camera's sensor, so... up
> to the user again).
>
> I believe it is the role of the *image viewer* to handle the
> rotation/flip/whatever because this has to interact with the user,
> something a library can't do.
>
> And on a long term notice (because I assume that wmiv is more than just a
> quick toy), integrating EXIF in wraster in not a good idea, because it is
> likely that someday you'll say yourself that it would be a neat feature to
> be able to display those EXIF info to the user, which will not be easy if
> those are loaded inside WRaster. And that's just an example.
>
> On a final note, did you consider libexif? It looks like to be widely
> available.

First of all, my intent was not to create a troll but to open discussion
about new features.
That's the purpose of the next version ?
Let's jump into it ;)

As I shared some time ago already with Carlos, I believe I have some basic
requirements that are not fulfilled with out-of-box wmaker. I know you will
say it's not the purpose of a window manager and I agree with that to some
extend.

Here my crazy needs:
*open images without relying on some gnome or Kde tools, now that is almost
fulfill with wmiv
*lock my session. I don't care about screensaver thing, just need something
that work like i3lock as xlockmore is not provided anymore on some
distribs and slock is just segfaulting in my tests), what about a wmlock ?

For the exif orientation stuff, I wanted to keep it simple but as you said
maybe some days requirements will change.
The other option I had was to add the metadata processing directly in wmiv,
as now flip/rotation from wrlib are working well. I like the idea I will
implement it and keep it in my own repo if nobody need that.

Regards,
David