Quoth Doug Torrance,

This patch changes the behavior by clearing the maximization flag when a maximized window is moved. Then, when a window is maximized and then moved, it
can be maximized again without issues.

[The old way] is explicitly done like that so you can move a maximised window around without losing the ability to restore its old size. Under the old(er) behaviour, which this patch would now restore, moving a maximised window even one pixel in any one direction was enough to cause wmaker to forget the original dimensions and make restoring to them impossible.

I imagine that most people would ask "but why would you want to do that?" in response to the idea of moving a fully-maximised window around but consider that a Maximusized, half- or corner-maximised window is also "maximised" as far as wmaker is concerned, and moving them is more intuitively reasonable.

In fact I fairly often find myself moving "really" maximised windows about as well. As an example, a particularly naughty website doesn't quite render in my (small) Firefox window. Maximise Firefox. Now I can see the content but I can't see the email underneath where a colleague was asking me to look at the page. Move Firefox about. Now I can see. Now I've finished. Hit the shortcut key and Firefox bounces back to the position and size it was before.

On balance I found it less annoying and illogical to have moveable maximised windows than to have windows which could be maximimised and never restored.