On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 at 19:25:32 +0200, Josip Deanovic wrote:
> On Sunday 2015-08-23 18:04:37 Carlos R. Mafra wrote:

> > Thank you, Rodolfo.
>
> Yes, thank you from me too.
>
> > Josip, the patch should fix the issue and it's in the #next
> > branch already. Would you mind testing it?
>
> I'll test it in the next 30 minutes.

> > > I have no objections to that as long as that feature exists and the
> > > option is intuitive and logical and doesn't break anything else. :-)
> >
> > Note that the issue you found is not intuitive nor logical :-)
>
> I didn't find it, my friend pointed it to me and I somehow still
> remembered that feature from like 20 years ago so I needed to inspect
> it to confirm that it actually stopped working few years ago.
>
> Anyway I didn't put that feature there but it's handy. :-)
>
> > There is no reason why the setting of the "No application icon" should
> > have an effect on being able to execute multiple instances of a docked
> > application. The "No application icon" option should control just the
> > application icon, nothing else.
>
> I agree.
>
> > So what Rodolfo did originally was correct -- he enforced the behavior
> > that the option stands for. The "execute multiple instances" happened
> > to work before by chance.
> >
> > But nevermind, a regression is a regression and thank you for
> > reporting it multiple times; it should work again with the latest
> > patch but ideally this behavior should not be coupled with this
> > particular option.
>
> It would be nice to decouple them then.
> It would help to avoid loosing the feature in the future.
> I would suggest adding another option to the Application Specific
> menu of the Window attributes window.
>
> There is a plenty of space there and the only thing that is left
> to discuss in that case is whether this option should work only in
> case application icons are disabled for the specific docked application
> or always.
>
> If the option is allowed to be activated even if the application icon
> is not disabled that could produce some confusion.
> So in my opinion, ideally the new option should be inactive
> (disabled/grayed-out) unless the "No application icon" is selected.
> And by default the new option should be disabled (unselected) by default.

Perhaps it would be better to not even have an option for this,
it should always be possible to execute a docked app multiple times.

And indeed, one needs to think about what to do with the appicons.
Perhaps just silently behaving as "no appicon" is set starting from
the second instance, I don't know.