Kris Maglione wrote:
On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 07:41:13PM -0400, Robert C Corsaro wrote:
Gentoo uses ebuilds, which are just a layer above make. The ebuild basically downloads the source, compiles and installs. An overlay is just a set of ebuilds that aren't in the official gentoo repository. When you emerge (install) a package, it looks in any overlays you have first, and then in the official portage tree(set of ebuilds). There is also a program called layman which manages overlays for users. It requires a layman-list.xml file somewhere on the web to tell it where/how to get the overlay(s). I'll create this too. The only requirement is that the layman-list.xml can be accessed by http url, and that the overlay can be accessed via tar(http url), rsync, hg, svn, git or bzr.

I'd love to leave it in your repo, one less headache for me.

Ok, I can give you commit access to the Google Code mirror of the repo, and you can maintain the overlay there. I'd suggest using /pkg/gentoo, which will be accessible at:

     http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/pkg/gentoo/

If that's acceptable, please send the required changes (commit them to your private repo and use "hg export"), and I'll add you to the Google Code project.

Ok, we'll try that. The only worry I have is that for layman to work, the checkout has to have the directory structure in the root. It looks like hg clone http://wmii.googlecode.com/hg/pkg/gentoo/ doesn't checkout the subdir, but the entire repo. Can that subdir be packaged as a tar somewhere? Anyway, we'll figure something out.