Happened to me.  But I wasn't in the middle of reading "1984".  I did
receive a notice from Amazon that I was receiving a .99 refund.

-----Original Message-----
From: wnndl@googlegroups.com [mailto:wn...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
danny burstein
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 4:08 PM
To: wnn
Subject: Bonfire of the Amazon Kindles.

The "Kindle" is a nifty computer type tablet with a solid distribution
network letting you purchase more and more and more "books", and read them
on the screen.

  -------
summary: Due to some legal and copyright issue whose specifics aren't quite
clear yet, Amazon _deleted_ copies of "books"
that people had already downloaded.

Eyup. Not future copies, but ones you had already purhcased and downloaded.

(Now how many people even knew that could happen?).

In a unique bit of irony, the books in question included a version of...
"1984".

one story among many, many, others:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jul/17/amazon-kindle-1984

                     dan...@panix.com