I've just been catching up on some of the side issues
with the various federal energy conservation legislation,
and discovered that....

.. that they're mandating a phaseout of

        Mercury Vapor lighting.

for example:

"The Energy Policy Act of 2005 mandates that mercury vapor lamp
ballasts shall not be manufactured or imported after January 1, 2008,
and additional regulations regarding the manufacturing of mercury
vapor lamps will completely eliminate their availability by 2011.
These regulations are designed to promote energy efficiency and
conservation with lighting installations. " [a]

- And I doubt the Cubs have the money for retrofitting the
stadium with any of the alternatives...

(And what's going to happen with every high school stadium in the country? I
doubt they've got much money either...)

[a] http://www.alleghenypower.com/CSC/Services/Mercury_Vapor_Replacement.asp