From: danny burstein <dan...@panix.com>
Newsgroups: panix.user.marketplace
Subject: it's getting time to say bye bye to our beloved Honda Insights
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 06:40:52 +0000

We've got a set of two original model (2001 and 2003)
Honda Insights which are kind of working (see below).

They're great little cars, but they're low on the ground
and only two seaters.  With gravity increasing
over the years, it's been getting tougher to get in
and out of them.

So... let us know if anyone might be interested.

The deal is that.. one of them (the one I typically
use) _is_ working fine with the following BIG issue:

    - the catalytic converter is no longer up to spec
    so the car will NOT pass NY or similar state
    emissions requirements.

The other one... probably works, but we can't
be sure.  The last time we ran it the exhaust
system and everything else was ok.  But...

The high voltage hybrid battery was pretty used up
five years ago and, since it was just sitting around
as a source of spare parts (we haven't used anything
from it), we didn't replace the pack.

In the interim it's died completly.

Now... while the Insights _will_ work with
the hybrid battery 90 percent dead, this one
now seems to be dead, dead.  The car starts
courtesy of the 12V standby system, but then
shuts down a couple of seconds later.

(In addition to the high voltage NiMH pack, the
cars also use a standard, if small, automotive
twelve volt battery)

It would _probably_ work with a replacement hybrid
voltage pack, but we can't be sure.

They typically last five plus years (I've replaced
the one in my primary car a couple of times) and
the price is about $2k.  But again, we can't be
sure whether this will get the car working.

If you'd like them, raise your hands.

Thanks,

Shimmie, Barbara, and Dannyb

                     dan...@panix.com