This isn't even the first time this has been an issue in recent years -- there
were a couple "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?" special events that aired on ABC
prime-time while the syndicated series was airing on various channels in
various markets.

(Back in the 20th century, this was more common with the network daytime
version versus the "evening" syndicated version. One notable example is "Family
Feud," which was airing in ABC daytime while the biggest local station group
airing the syndicated run was the NBC owned-and-operated stations.)