I still remember an extensive Amtrak trip I took in 2002, where the dining car
servers kept telling people that the sodas available were "Pepsi, Diet Pepsi,
and Sierra Mist," and no one knew what Sierra Mist was. (Amtrak has since
switched to Coca-Cola products.)

If I recall correctly, Sierra Mist was a replacement for Slice (which came in
several flavors, including lemon-lime). Perhaps it's time for Pepsi to think
outside the box and come up with a name that doesn't start with S.