That captured everything so well.

People who haven't spent time in LA often don't realize how much of the
area is undeveloped and designated to stay that way. Griffith Park, where
P-22 lived and the memorial took place, is this huge spread right in the
middle of the city. The Santa Monica Mountains cut right though the city.
The Angeles Forest is a stone's throw from Pasadena.

We're used to urban wildlife in these parts, but it's usually skunks or
rattlesnakes or the very occasional deer. Then P-22 showed up, looked
around and basically said, "Eh, not the home I went looking for, but I can
work with this." And the local humans looked at this huge cat who was just
a little out of place, and said, "Awesome new neighbor. Yeah, we know:
Don't pet the kitty. Should we leave some water out?"

Other cities have stories about seldom-seen creatures that roam the hills,
but those are usually cryptids like Bigfoot. In LA, we had a freakin'
documented mountain lion. His being here was a fluke, but it led to the
construction of a wildlife bridge. It's mostly to help increase genetic
diversity among various wildlife populations split by highways - but if
another lion takes the bridge and wanders down to Griffith Park, we're not
going to be mad about it.

--Rose