This post sums it up well. The snarkier version is: The WGA contract that
came about after the last strike is up, and the people at companies that
air, stream or otherwise distribute the shows are like, "Yeah, lost money
during the pandemic, can't pay you, pay no attention to all the money we've
been sinking into streaming services that are eventually going to have to
consolidate because it turns out people have limits on the number or things
they'll subscribe to."

In my observations from around the industry, writers get the short end of
the financial stick because the people with money don't understand the
work.

There seems to be this notion that because so many writers are sitting
around coffee shops working on screenplays or pilot pitches, there's an
endless supply of writers who will do it for cheap. WGA keeps reminding
them that even though it often happens in isolation, screenwriting is a
specialized skill that is the foundation of anything worth watching.

The sides are far enough apart that I expect the strike will happen. Late
night shows will go dark, and that might be the only thing you notice at
first. If there's not a quick resolution, it's likely to drag on at least
until the networks don't have new fall seasons to sell advertising for.

--Rose