Weighing in here...

A) Many AM radio stations, including ours (WAKR/1590 Akron, OH), have added
low-power FM translators. But in our case, "low-power" means I can't
actually pick the FM up in the house here on this side of town. 1590 has no
such limitation for me.

B) Those Channel 6 analog signals, which show up on 87.7(5) FM as radio
stations, are all now converted to digital. But there is a "special
temporary authority" by the FCC allowing some of them to inject an analog
radio signal alongside the digital TV signal. This is by no means
permanently authorized...