   The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for August 12, 1999

                           the bee's knees

If something is the bee's knees, it's the very best, the most
desirable. Example: "Everyone agreed that Harry's diamond studded
cufflinks were just the bee's knees."

This strange expression is one of many that emerged during the 1920s
"flapper" period, when anything excellent was likely to receive a
catchphrase having something to do with an animal part.  There were
"monkey's eyebrows," "gnat's elbows," "bullfrog's beard," "elephant's
adenoids," "cat's pyjamas," and many more.

Not many of these creative descriptions survive today.  We'd like to
see the custom revived.  How about some new terms of excellence?  We
suggest: "tapir's toes," "polliwog's wiggle," and "eagle's eye."  Why
not invent your own?

Today's sponsor:   ACSI Bulk Inks   <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>

WHY pay $30 for a new inkjet cartridge, when you can refill
your current one 10 times for $21.95 with our 450 ml pint bottles.
Free, easy on-line instructions. Color and photo inks too.
Call us now Toll Free: 1-888-728-2465 VISA/MC/AMEX
ACSI Bulk Inks:  <http://www.oddparts.com/ink>
Mention Cool-Word and save $5 on shipping/handling