  The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for September 27, 1999

                    diaphanous [adj. dy-AF-uh-nus]

If something is diaphanous, it is so delicate that it is transparent
or translucent, or it is airy, insubstantial, vague, or ethereal.
Example: "Sherri's wedding dress was an amazing confection of lace
and diaphanous gauze."

This is one of many words derived from the Greek phanein (to show).
With the prefix dia- (through), the word literally translates as
"through showing" or transparent.

The same root can combine with different prefixes.  With epi- (over,
above, forth) we get epiphany [n. uh-PIF-uh-nee] (an intuitive or
divinely received insight).  With theo- (god) we get theophany [n.
thee-OF-uh-nee] (manifestation of a god to a human being).

We suggest a new word, endophany [n. en-DOF-uh-nee] (an insight
arrived at through introspection or meditation), formed with the
prefix endo- (within).

Another Cool Word for something diaphanous is gossamer:
http://www.cool-word.com/archive/1999/08/03.html

Today's Sponsor:     KidSolutions     http://www.kidsolutions.com

Need new ideas for spending time with your Kids?
We've got the Solutions! The KidSolutions Weekly e-zine features
humorous and heartwarming stories, games, travel & craft tips,
kid friendly recipes, money saving tips and more!  To get your FREE
weekly subscription, send a blank e-mail to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.kidsolutions.com