I'm going to try this this summer when I can get fresh tomatoes! sounds soo
good...I wish I knew how to can..I finally found out how to use the pressure
cooker...making me hungry again! lol

 Retiredpostal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Beef Burger with Roasted Tomato Ketchup Recipe

 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered
       1 tablespoon olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
       1 medium onion, finely diced
       2 cloves garlic, finely diced
       1/4 cup cider vinegar
       2 tablespoons sugar
       1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
       1/4 teaspoon allspice
       Salt and freshly ground pepper
       2 pounds freshly ground beef, top sirloin or top round
       2 tablespoons olive oil
       Salt and freshly ground pepper
       Four rolls

 To prepare the ketchup: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Toss the tomatoes
in 1
 tablespoon of the olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for
10 to 15
 minutes or until soft.
       Transfer the tomatoes to a food processor and process until smooth.
Strain the
 tomatoes, pressing against the solids with a wooden spoon to extract as much
pulp and
 juice as possible.
       Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and
saute the
 onions and garlic until translucent. Add the tomato puree and remaining
ingredients and
 continue cooking, uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until
thick.
       To prepare the burgers: Shape the meat firmly into 4 round uniform
patties about 1
 1/2-inches thick. Brush both sides of the burgers lightly with the remaining
olive oil and
 season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat a large cast iron skillet over
medium high heat
 until just smoking. Cook the burgers until done to your preference, 5 to 6
minutes on each
 side for medium rare etc.

All glory comes from daring to begin.
-- Eugene F. Ware --