Thanks, Iñigo.

I will not be able to attend the IETF 87 meeting in person, but I have an
updated outline of the user agent behaviors that I have briefly summarized
below.   The purpose of the following summary is to explain in chronologic
fashion the processing of an SSL certificate.  The key reason I'm sharing it
here is to get feedback on whether I've explained anything incorrectly or in
a way that does not fit real-world implementation.  The paragraphs below are
broad-brushed because I didn't want to dump a hierarchical list of
complicated error conditions on everyone.  Right now my plan is to use the
groupings below to organize the analysis of user  agent behaviors.

There are several types of error conditions that one might encounter while
processing an SSL certificate.  To accomplish an error-free SSL/TLS
handshake the user agent has to negotiate the parameters of the session,
obtain the server certificate, examine the signature, and determine:
whether to trust the certificate and its issuer; whether the certificate was
properly issued; and whether it still remains valid.

Communication errors due to misconfigurations or data corruption might
immediately halt the  process.  Error messages during the SSL/TLS handshake
/ session negotiation step include:  internal errors, aborted handshakes,
certificate or public key unavailability, bad hash values, malformed
handshake messages, and unsupported protocols.   (Question - is there a
difference between "handshake" and "session negotiation"?  If anyone has
told me, I can't remember.)

Most user agents maintain a repository of trusted certificates, and some
also keep track of bad certificates as well.  Assuming that the certificate
is received by the user agent, then during the handshake a user agent will
examine the certificate presented and determine whether it can build an
unbroken chain between the website certificate and a trusted certificate.
If it cannot, because a trusted CA cannot be found (and the user does not
affirmatively choose to trust the certificate), then the session should
terminate.  If the certificate can be examined for other reasons, then
further processing occurs.   Other errors encountered during this step
include:  signature does not verify content, unsupported certificate type,
corrupt certificate repository, name mismatch, same certificate in multiple
paths, and other indications that there are critical problems with the
certificate chain.

Assuming that a proper chain can be constructed, then the contents within
the certificate themselves can be analyzed. The user agent can determine
whether the certificate has expired (or in some cases, whether the
certificate is premature) based on the system clock.   Some user agents
provide better detailed explanation.  For example, some will inform the user
to check his or her system clock to ensure that it is not indicating a time
that is earlier than the issuance date of the certificate.   Some user
agents will determine whether the server certificate’s validity period falls
within the validity period of the issuing CA.  If not, the user agent
provides a warning that the certificate is outside the lifetime of the
issuing CA.

A user agent can examine whether the certificate has been revoked by
checking a locally cached repository containing a CRL or an OCSP response.
If such revocation record is not cached locally, then it can usually be
retrieved via an HTTP location specified by the issuing CA.  Errors
associated with obtaining and processing CRLs and OCSP include:  CRL / OCSP
not available;  signature on (or data within) CRL or OCSP response fails;
certificate revoked; and intermediate CA certificate revoked.

Even assuming that the user agent can establish that the certificate is
valid and has been revoked, there are certainly other errors that may arise
in the process of session negotiation. These errors include:
transmission/receipt of bad data, hashes, or MACs; decryption and
decompression errors; internal processing errors; incompatible cryptographic
and algorithmic functions between client and server; and inability to
negotiate other parameters for session (key exchange, key size and strength,
session renegotiation, etc.).

While client authentication errors can also prevent session establishment,
these types of mutual authentication errors will not be addressed in this
Internet Draft.

Thanks,

Ben